Friday, March 20, 2009

What do I do and why do I do it?

I travel a lot and am frequently asked two questions. What do I do and why do I do it?

I’ll start with the one that’s easiest one to answer. Why do you do it?
The answer is simple. I travel so much because it is part of my job. The job is the important message. I believe that what I am doing is really making a difference in the lives of others. Without that belief, I would not be able to spend so much time away from home.

What do you do is a little more complicated to answer.
Most of the time I do not get to fully answer this question because as soon as I say I work with public school districts, the person asking the question feels like that is an open invitation to complain about how horrible their own school district is. Most of the time I am polite with my responses, but recently I guess I have had enough.

I was on a late flight to a large city in Texas when a gentleman started his constant complaining. My response was a little different. I asked him questions like how much he thought the administration in his district should get paid. How much was too much for someone with more than 20 years experience and a Ph.D. and the leader of one of the largest districts in the state. He couldn’t really answer that question. Then, I asked him how he was involved with his local school district. Was he doing anything to help the situation or make a difference in his community? He soon realized that if he was going to complain, it shouldn’t be to me.

So now, I ask the same questions to everyone. Are you involved with your local school district? Are you doing something that is really going to make a positive difference in your community? Are you willing to work with your local schools or are you going to complain from the sidelines?

I urge everyone reading this to take a step and volunteer. Get involved and make a difference in your community. Find out what you can do to help. And please, if you see me in an airport, at the rental car stand, or at the local coffee shop, tell me about the good things that are happening and how you are contributing to your local schools.

Becky Cowan
Cambridge Elections Strategist

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Becky...enjoyed your thoughts.